Starting Your Adoption Journey

Adopting in Peru


Hague Adoption Convention Country

There are currently (as of 2013) 4 agencies in the United States that work with Peru.  Here are their links.  We are working with the top one and so far we have no complaints.  They are all capable and willing to work with the agency you choose to do your home study with as long as they are Hague Convention Agencies.

Villa Hope

6 Office Park Circle, Suite 218 Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Phone: (205) 870-7359; Fax: 871-6629 Web:  E-mail: Peruvian Contact: Dr. Elena Baldasari Phone: 435-1671 Fax: 427-0666 E-mail:

Lifeline Children’s Services  Dave Wood International Director  2104 Rocky Ridge Road Birmingham, AL 35216    (p) 205.967.0811

An Open Door Adoption Agency

Susan Richardson International Adoptions Consultant (229) 228-6339  P.O. Box 4  218 E. Jackson Street Thomasville, GA 31799

Angel Dance International 2237 West 30th Avenue | Denver, Colorado 80211 (303)433-6655 phone (303)433-6671 (fax) |

In Peru the agency that deals with the country’s adoptions is the Ministerio de la Mujer y Poblaciones Vulnerables (MIMP).  Here is a TV program where they interview the head of the general director of adoptions in Peru Eda Aguilar Samanamud it is in Spanish.

Av. Benavides 1155, Miraflores, Lima – Perú
Central telefónica: (511) 626 – 1600 anexo 1701

Cost and Timeline for Adopting



This expense journal is very individualized to our needs, however it can give someone a rough estimate on what to expect to spend on an international adoption.  I will update this as we move forward in the process.

Baker Victory Services

Initial application ———————————————————- $850

Background checks ——————————————————– $22

Home study (social worker) ——————————————— $700

Website training sessions ———————————————– $149

Document certification ————————————————– $116

Villa Hope

Initial application ——————————————————— $300

Form I-800A ————————————————————– $890

Formal Application ——————————————————-  $6,000 (1/2 required at this time)

Psychological evaluations (Peru required)—————  2,000 (not covered by insurance)

Psychiatric Evaluation (Peru required) __________ $500 (not covered by insurance)

Dossier overseas fee —————————————————— $11,547 (1/2 required prior to dossier preparation)

Home Study review fee ————————————————– $500

Dossier processing fee ————————————————— $500

Document Certification (marriage, birth etc.)———–  $130

Document authentication (notarized documents) —- $100

Documents Apostile ——————————————————- $190

Angel Dance

Initial application fee ———————————————————2000

Dossier processing fee ————————————————— $500

Miscellaneous document processing fee ————————————————— $1500

Translation fees ————————————————————— $200

Airfare is also a concern since you don’t get a lot of notice when you are ready to travel to the adoption country.  Here are a few sites I’ve researched that offer help in purchasing flight tickets for international adoptions.

Adoption Airfare

Fellowship Travel International


Golden Rule travel

Certain Airlines offer discounted airfares for international adoptions, however, you should call and inquire over the phone, as most don’t post it on their sites.


When you call the airlines, have Adoption Information available since the airline will need specific info for you to qualify for the adoption fare. Also, make sure you have your adoption paperwork ready to show proof when traveling back with your child.

  • Name, address, and phone number of your adoption agency.
  • Information from your Notice of Favorable Determination letter (INS I-171-H or I-797C)
  • Proof of your U.S. residency.

Average Timeline for International Adoption


International Adoption Terminology


Hague Convention:  The Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Inter-Country Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention) is an international agreement to establish safeguards to ensure that intercountry adoptions take place in the best interests of the child. The Hague Adoption Convention applies to adoptions between the United States and the other countries that have joined it.

Home- study:  An assessment of prospective adoptive parents to see if they are suitable for adopting a child.  It can last between 3-7 months from start to finish mostly depending on how fast you work to get the info the require.

Placement: A term used to describe the point in time when the child comes to live with the adoptive parents in their home.

Apostille:  An Apostille is a simplified form that contains standardized numbered fields of common, yet essential information, which allows the data to be understood by all adoption officials regardless of the language spoken in Hague Adoption cases. A completed Apostille must be attached to the documents needed for Hague cases; it provides a certification of certain public and notarized documents. I-800a Form


Certification or Authentication: Verification of the genuineness of a document or signature to make it effective or valid. It usually takes the form of a sealed or stamped certificate that confirms the authority of a public official (such as a Judge, or a notary public) or of a signatory.

FullSizeRender 2

Dossier:  collection of papers containing very detailed information about you. The vast majority of countries open to international adoption require prospective adoptive parents to compile a dossier. Compiling a dossier involves gathering documents, having these documents notarized, and then adding various seals from your county, your state, and the U.S. government. Some of the documents required for your dossier are the same documents required by the USCIS and your home study. The vast majority of these documents have to be notarized, certified, apostilled, and authenticated.

DGA:  Director of general adoptions.  The person, in Peru, you will have to request approval to adopt in a formal letter.

DHS – Department of Homeland Security:  DHS is the acronym for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. agency responsible for facilitating immigration cases, including those related to intercountry adoption.

Form I-800a“Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country”:  USCIS Form for adjudicating the eligibility and suitability of the applicant(s) to adopt a child who habitually resides in a Hague Adoption Convention country.

IMG_3799FullSizeRender 3

Hague Adoption Certificate:  When a child emigrates from the United States (outgoing adoption case) to another Convention country, the U.S. Secretary of State issues a Hague Custody Declaration and a Hague Adoption Certificate. The Hague Adoption Certificate officially states that the child has been adopted in the United States, in accordance with the Hague Adoption Convention and the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000.

IAA – Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000:  IAA is the acronym for the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000, the Public Law that provides for the implementation of the Hague Adoption Convention.

Post-Adoption:  Post-adoption is the period of time after an adoption in a Convention country and is followed by a re-adoption in the United States.

Post-Adoption Reporting:  After a child has been adopted, some countries of origin have post-adoption reporting requirements. Adoption service providers must comply with the state laws of the jurisdiction where you live regarding the number of post-adoption home visits that are required as well. The adoption service provider includes a requirement for such reports in the adoption services contract.

Post-Placement:  Post-placement is the period of time before an adoption, but after a grant of legal custody, or guardianship of the child to the prospective adoptive parents, or to a custodian for the purpose of escorting the child to the identified prospective adoptive parents.

USCIS:  Unites States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  A component of Homeland Security that also deals with approvals to adopt and awarding citizenship status to internationally adopted children.

Visa:  A Visa is an official authorization permitting entry into and travel within a particular country or region. When an orphan enters the United States with an immigrant visa, he/she is considered to be a lawful permanent resident of the United States, not a U.S. citizen.


Military Adoption


Here is some information to get started with the process.  All your paperwork, homestudy and placements will be the same whether you are military or civilian.  It only differs depending on the state you are currently living in.  These, however, are some of the info that pertains to us military families.  There are some reimbursements we are eligible for through the military and of course the tax credit that everyone receives.  Please do your research, adoption is wonderful but very costly.

Adoption Leave

Military service members are not eligible for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act. However, legislative changes allow service members to be eligible for up to 21 days of nonchargeable leave in conjunction with the adoption of a child. If both parents are in the military, only one can take adoption leave. See DoD instruction Number 1327.06 (page 17) from June 16, 2009.

Post-adoption Services

  • For medical coverage, an adopted child or a child who is placed for adoption before the adoption is finalized should be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately upon placement. Patient affairs personnel at specific medical treatment facilities may have more information, and details about access and eligibility are available on the TRICARE website.
  • Family service centers located on most major military installations can provide military families with information regarding adoption reimbursement and other familial benefits.

Adoption For Military Families:
How To Get Started

By Kathleen MoaklerIf our ringing telephones are any indication, more military families are interested in adopting than ever before. The National Military Family Association receives several phone calls each week from military families who are beginning the adoption process or asking questions about military adoption programs.A basic overview of adoption benefits available to military families:Department of Defense Adoption Reimbursement program: An active duty member of the military who incurs expenses for the adoption of a child under age 18 may be reimbursed up to $2,000 per child (with a maximum reimbursement to one servicemember of $5,000 in any calendar year) for qualifying expenses. No more than one member of a dual military couple may be reimbursed for expenses relating to the adoption of the same child. If both spouses are members of a military service, the couple may not receive reimbursement under the program totaling more than $5,000 in any calendar year. Benefits are payable only after the adoption is final. Requests for reimbursement must be submitted no later than one year after finalization of the adoption. The reimbursement form (DD 2675) and information may be accessed at

Military leave: Although servicemembers are not eligible for leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act, they are covered by a different law. Public Law 109-163 allows up to 21 days of leave, in addition to regular leave, to be used in connection with the adoption. Consistent with military requirements, commanders are encouraged to approve requests for ordinary leave once a child is placed in the home of the member for adoption to allow a period of bonding or time to establish arrangements for child care. Only servicemembers eligible for reimbursement of adoption expenses may qualify for this leave. In the event that two members of the armed forces, who are married to each other, adopt a child in a qualifying child adoption, only one member is a allowed this special leave. This provision took effect Jan. 6, 2006 and applies only to adoptions completed on or after that date.

Deployment deferment: Single members or one member of a military couple may receive a four-month assignment and deployment deferment from duty away from the home station for the period immediately following the date a child is placed in the home of a member or members, as part of the formal adoption process.

Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances and medical benefits: A child under age 18 placed in the home of a member by a placement agency for adoption is considered a dependent in determining travel and transportation allowances. With a court order for the placement, the child may be eligible for military health benefits.

Coast Guard parental leave: Coast Guard members may apply for a one-time separation from active duty for up to two years to care for an adopted child and up to five days administrative leave to attend to the needs of an adopted child. Ordinary leave may be used and is encouraged once a child is in the member’s home for adoption.

Now that you know the rules, how do you get started? Several resources are available:

The Child Welfare Information Gateway, sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services (; click Adoption on the left-hand side) is a fine place for prospective adoptive parents to begin. This site has it all: how to adopt, types of adoption, financial assistance, laws and policies, issues unique to various types of families, and information useful both before and after a child is placed in a family.

Military OneSource provides an in-depth section on adoption for military families and features pertinent information on kinship adoption and adopting your spouse’s children. Go to and click Parenting on the left-hand side.

The National Military Family Association offers a DoD Adoption Reimbursement Program fact sheet on specific adoption benefits for servicemembers and their families, outlining the financial reimbursement and leave benefits associated with adoption. Visit

As with any major undertaking, it is important to do your homework before you get started. Find other families in your community who have adopted, domestically or overseas. Ask your local installation family support center, city or county social service agencies or religious groups about adoption support groups in your area.